Events, celebrations, gardening, parties, fetes, music, singing, singing teachers, kids clubs, theatre, drama, ballet, dance, jazz, tap, culture, language, art, art galleries, poetry, writing, books, library, libraries, museums, zoos, bridge, cards, games, crafts, quilting, embroidery, knitting, sewing, cooking, tapestry, genealogy,...
- Christmas Party in The Grove (at Ferny Grove State School, hosted by The Grove Community Church)
- Christmas Carols, St Andrews Catholic School
- Christmas in Keperra, Keperra Baptist Church
- School Fete, St Andrews Catholic School
- School Fete, Ferny Grove State School
- School Fete, Patricks Rd State School
- Arana AusFest
- St Williams Catholic Church has a craft market once a month.
- Arana Hills Church of Christ has a Global Market Place with lots of crafts once a year.
- Ferny Grove Markets each Sunday at Ferny Grove Station car park
- The Ferny Hills Progress Association runs an annual Garden Competition
- Some locals have their gardens in Australia's Open Gardens.
- Grovely State School has a Garden Club for its students, and a school garden.
- Ferny Grove Garden Club has been meeting for many years, originally at the Upper Kedron Hall, but now moved to St Matthew's Church Hall. Meets last Friday of the month from 9:15am to about noon. Contact: Dale Gurney 3354 2176 They are a social club. Also do flower arranging.
- Instrumental and Vocal Music Program (Ferny Grove State High School),
- Music at St Andrew's Catholic School,
- No Strings Attached Concert Band Band Conductor is Annie. The band is for amateur musicians, who are at least of high-school age and who play a wind or percussion instrument. The age of current members ranges from 14 to 60 years.You need to have your own instrument and be prepared to attend practice sessions every Monday evening, from 7.00pm to 9.00pm, at Grovely State School.
- Patricks Road State School's Music Program provides opportunities for students including:
o Choirs from Year 2 onwards.
o Stringed instruments in Year 3, and brass, woodwind and percussion in Year 5.
o Annual Performing Arts Celebration
o The Patricks Road State School Musical featuring students from Years 6 and 7.
Parents helping through the P&C Music Support Group
- Choirs and Instrumental (Ferny Grove State School),
- Grovely State School has an Instrumental Music Program (brass, woodwind, percussion, strings) and a Choral Program (years 2-7).
- Prayer & worship singing (The Grove Community Church)
- Break It Down School of Entertainment, singing class, Monday 4.30-5.30pm Patricks Rd School Hall
- Women's Drumming Ensemble (Chicks With Sticks) - mothers and friends of Ferny Grove State High School music department
- 'President's Choir' of Arana Bridge Club
- Arana Leagues Club has live music performers daily.
- Madonna's Music & Dance Centre, 1156 South Pine Rd, Arana Hills. 3851 1626, 0401 498 800. Song & Dance. Air conditioned studios
- Mau Music, 10 Dallas Pde, Keperra 3355 3955. Musical instruments, amplifiers, sheet music.
- Salubrious Productions, 12 Mooney St, Keperra 3855 3048
- Prepared Sounds, Arana Hills (John Parker, Sean Foran) 0410 471 672
- St William's has musicians and a choir.
- The Hills Uniting Church has a choir.
- Music teachers
- Ruth Busteed, 12 Bunorra Ave, Ferny Hills 3351 6928
- Jim & Rhonda Coady, 30 Kuringal Dve, Ferny Hills 3351 1436
- John Grainger, 6 Nurom Ave, Ferny Hills 3851 4005
- Ovation Productions Trust, 23 Keperra St, Keperra 3855 3778
- String a Chord, Terrance Skelton, Ferny Hills 0421 744 675 Beginner guitar lessons
- Mau Music keeps a big list of local music teachers.
Cosmo's Kids Club
- Arana Leagues Club, Dawson Pde, Keperra.
- Kids Club is open from Monday - Friday from 5.30pm & Saturday from 4.30pm & Sundays from 9am
- The Kids room is supervised, however children must be over 3 years and out of nappies.
- Not a member?? Kids club membership is $5.50.
- Drama at Ferny Grove State High School
- Local actors: Monica Harworth of Arana Hills
- Drama Develops Kids 3353 0555 Helen O'Grady Drama Academy
- The Hills Players, holding performances at St Matthews Church, Church St, Grovely.
- Performing Arts Centre has been built at Grovely State School.
- Arana Library - Family History Group 1st Thursdays of the month, 6:30pm-8:00pm
- Ballet, jazz, tap, hip hop, contemporary, ZUMBA - Break It Down School of Entertainment
- Arana Leagues Club has a dance floor. Line dancing is popular. Live music.
- Dance classes (cha cha cha, waltz, samba, jive, quickstep), Hills District Community Centre, Dawson Parade, Arana Hills, Thursdays 7-8pm beginners, 8-9.30pm semi-advanced & advanced with Ross & Trisha 0413 019 981, 3353 4636 Has been going for 27 years!
- Madonna's Music & Dance Centre, 1156 South Pine Rd, Arana Hills. 3851 1626, 0401 498 800. Classical, tap, jazz from 21/2 years old to diploma. Hip Hop, Acro, Song & Dance. Eisteddford classes. CSTD and Glenn Wood exams. Qualified CSTD teachers. Air conditioned studios
- Oxenham Irish Dancing School. The Hills PCYC. Jennifer & Catherine Oxenham. 0412 676 677. Classes start from children from aged 21/2, with a 30-minute Tippy Toes for Toddlers dance program of learning to stretch and a 'good' and 'naughty' foot position, and clapping to music beats.
- Carmel's Line Dancing 5466 5101
Beginners/Intermediate Monday 9am-12noon at Arana Hills. Beginners tuition 1st hour of class
- Culture Club & World Cafe (Languages Department at Ferny Grove State High School)
- Languages - Italian , LOTE (German Immersion, Indonesian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, French, Chinese)
- Grovely State School teaches Japanese.
- Patricks Rd State School teaches Indonesian
- We have many local artists. Des Mann of Ferny Hills is one who is a regular entrant in the http://www.transitionthegrove.org.au/administrator/index.php?option=com_content§ionid=1&task=edit&cid=364annual Moreton Bay Region Art Awards
- U3A Pine Rivers has art classes at Bunya House, Arana Hills.
- There is an art display area at the Arana Hills Library (a Galleriet). 3351 3401
- An artist lives at 265 Patricks Rd, Ferny Hills
- Grovely State School has an Artist in Residence Program.
- Art lessons 1064 Samford Rd, Keperra 0404 079 344
- A teacher of Hebel Block Sculpture lives in Upper Kedron. He runs a class under the Brisbane City Council's Growing Older Living Dangerously program for seniors.
- Community art locations:
- Keperra Stations murals
- Ferny Grove State High School Art & Craft Centre (external walls have excellent Aboriginal murals)
- The North West Community Health Centre in Keperra has extensive Aboriginal murals on the back wall facing the Indigenous Garden there. It is approached through a gate to the right of the main entrance to the centre. Outside the front of the Centre there is a high rock wall, and this has been painted by local Aboriginal children with handprints, and symbols such as a kangaroo, and an Aboriginal flag.
- St Andrew's School has some good murals on the walls near the drinking fountains.
- Leslie Patrick Park entrance (mosaics with poetry)
- Murvilla Park, Ferny Grove (engraved tiles in walkway with story)
- Plucks Rd (down towards Woodhill Rd) - (spot the statue on a house fence)
- Writing group meets at Arana Library
- Gold Star Book Club operates at St Andrews Catholic School
- Patricks Rd State School has been promoting reading
- Arana Library has on-line Christmas reading programs for young people.
- Residents of The Grove belong to book clubs. Arana Library has a list of book clubs operating from there.
- Browse for second hand books at Vinnies, Lifeline or Ferny Grove Markets
- Bush poetry now has a regular venue for us to enjoy the best of our Australian traditional and modern bush poetry.
On the afternoon of the last Sunday of every second month, starting on 31 July, Arana Hills writer and performer Noel Stallard and his bush poetry mates including Ron Liekifett and John Best will perform "Let's Laugh Till We Die".
Afternoon tea served at 3:00pm. The cost is $15, and after expenses, this money will go to the St Vincent de Paul Society.
- Fabrics at Ferny 3351 7790 Shop 5/170 Patricks Rd, Ferny Hills. Dress fabrics, sewing accessories, quilting/patchwork supplies, haberdashery, sewing classes, gift certificates, alterations
The Tapestry Cottage
- 104 View Cres, Ferny Hills
- 3351 6238
- Classes held daily
- All needlework supplied
- No appointment necessary
- Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri 9:30-3:30; Thurs, Sat 9:30-12:30
- Brisbane Forest Park Walkabout Creek Zoo with native birds, and an understream wildlife section
- Arana Bridge Club
- "The Gap" Leisure Club (started years ago in The Gap before moving to The Grove), meets each Wednesday morning at 9.30am at Ferny Grove Bowls, Sports & Community Club. $5 includes morning tea, indoor bowls, rummy king, 500, bingo, bus trips. For retired people.